A BIT MORE ABOUT US
Formerly the mill owners house the Nabs Head has been a pub since around 1894 having moved from the original building next door.
Although changes have been made to the building over the years it still retains its original bay windows (with original glass!) and has plenty of character.
We source our ingredients from local businesses where possible:
Fresh Meat – Butchers : I. J. Meats of Brinscall
Fresh Fruit and Vegetables : All Fresh of Ribbleton
Lettuce Leaves and Herbs : Home grown at the rear of our pub!
Fresh Seafood : The Fish Company of Skelmersdale
Dry Goods : Arbour Foods of Bamber Bridge
Beer, Wines and Spirits : Daniel Thwaites of Blackburn
The boy with the pony is Peter Yates, whose mother Judith, (née Simm), was running the ‘Nab’s Head’ when she died in 1907.
Peter worked at Samlesbury Mill and joined-up during the First World War, without his father’s agreement. He was killed at Ypres and his name is recorded on the Menin Gate.
Judith had taken over the ‘Nab’s Head’ from Ann Marjoribanks, (née Rostron), whose husband was licencee in 1894.
The Marjoribanks had taken the ‘Nab’ when the pub and brew-house were at the farm next door and so were tasked c.1894, with over-seeing the change of premises. Their niece, Martha-Alice, worked for them and was sent in to clean the fireplace.
Many of the employees building the sewage works (c.1897) used the pub at the end of their working day, particularly those who laboured down in the ‘lime hole,’ who could not speak until after they had eased their burning throats. Martha Alice always had their first drink waiting for them. It disappeared rapidly, by which time the second was waiting – and that went down more slowly, after the initial desperation was eased.
After Judith died, Peter’s father, James Yates married another niece of Ann’s, Florence Southworth, who became Peter’s stepmother. Florence had probably started work for them after Martha-Alice married in 1899 and she is the older girl in the photograph.